Saturday, January 28, 2012

Bronte Sisters Unscramble Game - Answers!


These are the answers to the Bronte Sisters Unscramble Game that was posted last week. I know their stories aren't as popular as other classic works but there were a very good number of you who played the game and got right answers!


Here are the answers (and novels characters come from if you're interested):


Female Characters
1. BRAMHGE INLANC - Blanche Ingram (a character in Jane Eyre)
2. HNAHA GELERM - Helen Graham (heroine of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall)
3. AREYS GGNE - Agnes Grey (heroine of Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte)
4. LOWU SCYNE - Lucy Snowe (heroine of Villette)
5. CARNSAINE EERHTHAW - Catherine Earnshaw (heroine of Wuthering Heights)


Male Characters
6. EOCRSD RDWERAHET - Edward Rochester (hero of Jane Eyre)
7. HFHCEATLIF - Heathcliff (from Wuthering Heights)
8. ENTOR LANIDG - Edgar Linton (from Wuthering Heights)
9. SV RSJN ROHTIE - St. John Rivers (from Jane Eyre)
10. RASORDA MICHN - Richard Mason (from Jane Eyre)


Novels
11. NYRE EJAE - Jane Eyre written by Charlotte Bronte
12. WNTSHEIEG HUTGHRI - Wuthering Heights written by Emily Bronte
13. VEETILTL - Villette written by Charlotte Bronte
14. SEYRLHI - Shirley written by Charlotte Bronte
15. LTI TELDEN AO WFANTHEL HLLF - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall written by Anne Bronte

The three Bronte sisters wrote under the pen names Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell when they were younger and a book of their early poetry was published in 1846. Charlotte Bronte wrote Jane Eyre, ShirleyVillette, The Professor and Emma (unfinished) among other Juvenilia works; Emily Bronte wrote Wuthering HeightsAnne Bronte wrote Agnes Grey and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.


Much thanks to those who played:
Christine & Elsa - 37 points
Livia - 36 points
Melody - 37 points
Sarah Grace - 36 points
birdienl - 32 points
Miss Elizabeth Bennet - 32 points
Sarah - 32 points
Jemimah - 30 points
Miss Dashwood - 29 points
Emily Ruth - 17 points
Charity - 14 points
Ella - 7 points

I've read Jane Eyre and bits of Wuthering Heights and Villette (which I really want to finish some day). I really want to read Agnes Grey and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (which I've heard is much better than the film adaptation). I've seen almost all of the Jane Eyre film adaptations available in the USA, three Wuthering Heights film adaptations and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (1998).

Which of the Bronte sisters' novels have you read?
Have you seen film adaptations of their works?


9 comments:

Melody said...

I've read Jane Eyre, but that's as far as my actual acquaintance with the stories go. ;-) But of course, I recognize some times. tehe

Melody said...

Oh, and I'm curious: what movie does that picture with your "Very Truly Your's" come from? I think I can make out 'Mr Darcy' but it doesn't look like P&P95 so I can only conclude that it might be P&P05 or Becoming Jane.

Melody said...

Haha, oh dear. I meant "But of course, I recognize some names." Not times. >.<

I think I need to go to bed....

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Melody,
The photo is from Becoming Jane. I love the pens and paper she uses in the scenes though. :)

Sarah Grace said...

I have read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Shirley, & Agnes Grey. Agnes Grey is my favorite. It is far less likely to give you a chilling thrill, but I prefer it. Actually it reminds me of something that Jane Austen might have wrote.

God bless,
Sarah Grace

Charity U said...

I've read "Jane Eyre" and 3/4 of "Wuthering Heights." Strongly disliked (and was bewildered by) the latter. And I've read "Villette." Let's see...I've only seen one "Jane Eyre"; it starred Timothy Dalton and was very long. :)

Christine said...

I have read Jane Eyre, Shirley, Villette, The Professor, Agnes Grey (my favorite; Sarah Grace is right, the book is more like a Jane Austen novel), The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Wuthering Heights, and some of the Bronte sisters' poetry.

I have never seen any of the film adaptations. I have watched some the film trailers and have never felt like spending time watching the whole movie.

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

I've awarded you the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award! http://elegance-of-fashion.blogspot.com/2012/01/ive-won-irresistibly-sweet-blog-award.html

birdienl said...

Ive so far read Jane Eyre, The Professor and Villete from Charlotte and both books from Anne Bronte. I did try to read Wuthering Heights, but I never finished it. That is one classic I can say I truly disliked.

Ive never even watched a Wuthering Heights adaptation, but I did watch multiple (I think 4 or 5) Jane Eyre adaptations (I own 2) and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Its a pity there are no Agnes Grey or Vilette adaptations beyond the era of the silent movie. I would really like that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...